More than 50% of adult female suffers cervicitis in their life.Cervicitis is an irritation of the cervix of Uterus caused by a number of different organisms. It is often confused with vaginitis. Cervicities is classified as either acute (while onset of symptoms are sudden and severe) or chronic ( lasting for a period more than a monther or longer ).Cervicitis can develop from noninfectious causes like injury, Use of chemical contraceptives, unhygienic pads during periods, it can also be caused from Sexually Transmitted Infections like C. Trachomaties (CT),N. Gonorrhoeae (NG), Trichomoniasis (TV), Bacterial Vaginosis (BV), M. Genitalium and HSV-2.
Sign & Symptoms of Cervicitis: It's possible to have cervicitis and not experience any signs or symptoms. Among the signs and symptoms women sometimes notice are
- Itching in sexual organs
- Pelvic pain & Back pain
- Bleeding between menstrual periods
- Changes in Vaginal Discharge
- Pain in case of Sexual interaction.
- Bleeding in case of Sexual interaction
- Likoria developed in monstruation pathway (release massive smelly pus and subs)
Effects of Cervicitis:
- Sometimes long terms Pain may affect to female conception.
- It’s not only the obstacle to inject sperm towards uterus, It also boost the pain of uterus, Falopian Tube, Falopian Tube by its up pulling transmision ability.
- In case of Cervicaitis in pregnant woman it may affect (Abortion/Miscarriage), (Premature Delivery), Different newborn diseases like pneumonia, infection in eyes etc.
Diagnosis: In addition to physical & pelvic examination cervicitis can be diagnosed by any on of the following procedure.
- Colposcopic Examination: Direct visualization of cervix & cervical canal with colposcopy Machine.
- Pep Test: Test that involves microscopic examination of cells collected from the cervix.
- Biopsy: A procedure in which tissue samples are removed from the body of the uterus for microscopic examination to determine if cancer or other abnormal cells are present.
Culture of cervical discharge.
Treatment is aimed to reducing symptoms and preventing spreading infection:
- Antibiotics (to eliminate infecting organisms)
- Treatment of sexual partners
- When repeated use of antibiotic is not effective then Laser Mucosectomy /Laser Vaporization of cervix is indicated to enhanced growth of normal mucosa( Tissue over the cervix)